Weasel

Weasel

Saturday 24 May 2014

1 year, 4 months - A Pancreatic Tumour and a Liver Tumour

It's been over a year since Weasel was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  On our last visit to the emergency clinic in April, we discovered he now has a liver tumour to battle as well.

Let me tell you, you wouldn't know this cat was ill.  Yes, I should be very nervous about his prospects but at the moment, I'm not.  He hasn't been ill since I can remember, his weight is great and he looks great.  In fact, he's too lively at times and can drive me bonkers, opening and closing the door for him incessantly to go outside - I can't even write this posting uninterrupted haha.

This post is intended to provide you with information on treating both types of tumours, since I don't have anything to report in terms of Weasel falling ill.  I'm going to list what we currently have him on.

Any type of cancer:
- 1 tbsp of Essiac tea
- drops of Life Gold (the number depends on your pet's weight)

Pancreatic Cancer and Liver Cancer (I can't recall at this point what targeted what one as he's been taking them for the past year with new additions added in April):
- Hyland's Cell Salts: #1 (Calc Fluor), #2 (Calc Phos), #3 (Calc Sulph), #4 (Ferrum Phos), #6 (Kali Phos), #7 (Kali Sulph), #9 (Natrum Mur), #10 (Natrum Phos), #11 (Natrum sulph), #12 (Silicea)

Although it's a bit of a blur as to what addresses what type of ailment - pancreatic or liver; with cell salts, you can't cause wrongdoing by taking them, as it simply restores a system imbalance.  You can read more on each one at: http://schuessler-cell-salts.com/

- CAS Options cut into quarter size pieces.  This will help all forms of cancer and can be ground up into the food.  It has an appealing flavour.

- Only available from the vet: Heel Mix 3 and Guna Mix 2

- Digestion support - HMF powder (good bacteria) - 1 scoop per meal


For Liver tumour:
- 1/2 capsule once a day of Livaplex
- Cytozyme-LV - 1 tablet a day
- Liquid Hepato (mine is chicken flavour but you can get bacon too)

The above items are tasty and easy to grind or mix up into the food.  They strengthen liver functionality and resistance.

If you can manage it (I can't get him to take this), provide your kitty (or pooch), Milk Thistle. It's quite effective for treating liver tumours.

It may seem like a lot to do, but it's well worth it.  We've been successful in shrinking the pancreatic tumour, and hope that we have the same success with the liver tumour, now that we've started treating it as well.  It's inevitable that Weasel won't live forever, and I'm aware of that; however, through these treatment regimes, I may be able to prevent a terrible and painful death from occurring. I highly recommend taking a similar course of action for your pet in need if you can financially afford to.  It is a cost; however, the cost is considerably less than surgery and is spread out throughout the year(s) as opposed to one large sum to pay.


6 comments:

  1. Melissa, I finally had a chance to visit your blog again and wanted to say you are amazing for sharing your treatment methods for little Weasel's, and encouraging folks to take this "alternative" option. I say "alternative" with quotation marks because it's not really an alternate path... it should be THE option. Unfortunately we are not educated in this manner.
    My boy has had some ups and downs and now we are trying to get his weight up as he has lost some, probably as he's bored of the soup/diet he's been on since we started seeing Dr. H, and he was always a bit of a picky little guy! However, 3 months after diagnosis (and God knows how long he's actually had the tumour), and most days, you wouldn't know he was ill either.
    We just started on the CAS Option yesterday, in addition to the other mushroom supplement he takes, and his other herbs and Chinese medicine. Some days he doesn't want to take them (especially in his food as he's smarter than most of us!! lol) but we manage! And it's all worth it!!!
    Cooking for them is practically second nature and just like cooking family meals and I quite enjoy it, so I don't know why we ever fed kibble to begin with. I'll still add some kibble, mainly to Bella's diet to ensure she gets what she needs (she's gained weight so I'm sure she is haha!), but cooking from here on in for my babies.

    Hope Weasel continues on being the crazy little guy you adore and wishing you both more success in treating his tumours. :)

    Arezoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arezoo! As usual, it's an absolute pleasure to hear from you! (Many apologies for the delayed response. I'm in the throws of school work again)

      I'm thrilled to hear that Rambo is not showing visible signs of illness. How wonderful! What a trooper to be on a strict soup diet and yet still get through it all. Without being able to understand English and simple explanations - relying purely on trust, it's incredible when they get through the food we give them that isn't terribly exciting.

      I've fortunately had a wonderful period of time these past 6 months or so myself feeding Weasel without him snubbing his nose. In the beginning of our treatment regime, it took many varied attempts to get everything into him as he would become easily turned off of food or remedies. Eventually we figured out a system that was mutually beneficial. I now buy every single Chicken or Turkey flavoured wet cat food on the market that doesn't contain by-products lol! We switch it up daily as a human would in eating dinners. It works for us.

      That's great that you're enjoying the process of feeding Rambo these specialized meals. It can be tedious for many so the fact that you're getting right into it, is great! And yes, I fully agree that how we're caring for our pets shouldn't be considered 'alternative', but instead be a part of the recommendation from any type of veterinarian practitioner.

      Please keep me posted on Rambo's progress. It's wonderful to hear these positive outcomes :).

      Delete
  2. Melissa,

    I'm so glad to hear Weasel is in good spirits despite the challenges. ::hugs:: He IS worth it! :) Thank you for sharing his treatments.

    I have Sebastian on a combination of traditional (Western) medicine and alternative medicine for his chronic pancreatitis. I consulted with a vet in March 2014 who specializes in Traditional Chinese Medicine. She helped me stabilize Sebastian and he's been doing quite well with only occasional "tummy aches". Part of the additions were quercetin (tons of information out there on it's positive effect on pancreatic cells) and two Chinese herbal blends. I also determined after MUCH trial and error that he's allergic to guar gum. Go figure! Sebastian's regime and diet are ridiculously complex, but, like Weasel, he's worth it. :)

    Sending my best...

    - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,

    Many apologies for the delayed response. I was in the thick of University studies for the past month and didn't have a moment to work on the blog/respond to posts.

    I'm absolutely thrilled that Sebastian is stabilized! That's wonderful news!! It's amazing that you were able to find out about the allergy. Without the ability to speak, determining something such as an allergy is incredibly challenging. I can well imagine that the new diet is quite complex and my heart goes out to not just you but so many who make such huge adjustments in their lives to treat animals suffering with severe ailments.

    Please keep me posted on Sebastian's progress. The next time my response won't be so delayed! :) Your positive news is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa. Just wanted to know how Weasel is doing. It's been awhile since your last post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi phoebe666! Thank you for your message and inquiry regarding Weasel's health. He's doing very well thankfully and in the spirit of the holidays, as well as your kind message, I've posted an update. I hope everyone enjoys the video I posted! :)

      Delete