Weasel

Weasel

Wednesday 20 May 2015

2 Years, 3 Months - May You Rest in Peace My Beautiful Kitty

This past 6 months have been a challenging time all around. As such, I've been unable to provide frequent updates on this blog unfortunately. Today however, I made sure to allocate time to write what will be my final post. Weasel was put down today after a strong battle against cancer for the last 2 years and 3 months.

Although I was prepared for his inevitable departure from us, it still stung and I cried. It's so difficult to lose a fur baby. We feel that we need to protect these innocent beings in our lives and it's simply crushing when we fail at this task.

I'm presently visiting my mother so compounding the issue was the fact that I couldn't hug or kiss Weasel goodbye. My husband came home from work to find him barely able to breath and realized that it was time to take him to the vet.

For the past 2 months Weasel has been contending with terminal Ascites - an accumulation of fluid in his abdomen. The cancer had spread to the liver causing this to be the latest 'demon' to tackle. We had Weasel's abdomen drained 3 times. It got to the point where I thought that we could continue draining him until this as well came to pass, but a hernia developed and the reality of his situation was undeniable.

I continued to provide Weasel with his supplements..I realized that it was a waste of time but a small part of me thought that it would provide comfort until his final hour.

When reading this, please don't view his death as a reason to ever give up on your own fur babies. Yes, the cancer inevitably won, but keep in mind that Weasel was only expected to live 3 months with this aggressive cancer, and on top of that, we managed to shrink the pancreatic tumour. We were also up against the fact that Weasel refused to take many treatments that are quite important such as the Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C or Yunnan Baiyao to name a couple.

Just try your best no matter what because at the end of the day, your pets will know you are and you'll have peace of mind that you never gave up on those you love.

Best wishes to all of you. I hope that this blog is a helpful resource to refer to in your 'toolbox of arsenal' against cancer.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss Melissa. I was hoping for a better outcome for you both. Weasel was such a brave and strong boy. You did all that you could and never gave up on him. RIP Weasel and big hugs to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Melissa,
    I'am very sorry that you lost Weasel. When I red your blogg today I cryed a little.
    I start to read your blogg one and half year ago when I lost my cat Cica. Itcomfert me and I am greatful that you wrote about the brave fight that Weasel deliver.

    I wish for you and your family all the best....and Weasel you have been a wonderful, brave cat.

    xxx Zana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    I am in tears reading this. I'm so sorry for your loss. Even though we know this day will eventually come when we have to say goodbye, it doesn't make it any easier. I stand and applaud you (and your husband) and Weasel for such strength and determination these past 2 years. You gave Weasel extra time in your loving home that he wouldn't of otherwise had if it wasn't for your valiant efforts. You've been an inspiration and a great help to many of us who have come across this blog.

    Perhaps this won't be your last post. Maybe in a few months, after you've had time to grieve and reflect, you'll come back and post a true final post - one not of loss, but a tribute of love, memories, and thanks for the life you and Weasel shared.

    You are in my thoughts.

    With sympathy,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much everyone for your kindness. Reading such support brought me to tears again. It's people like you that help to make such a negative situation into a positive one, reaching out to so many wonderful 'pet guardians'.

    The house still feels so empty without my furry little baby, even with the commotion of my 'biological - not so furry baby' haha. Weasel was such a joy (and a pain on any given day - thus the name Weasel), but a joy nonetheless. His brother seems to be a bit lonely and sad these days. We're doing our best to shower him in love, yummy food and attention.

    Thanks again xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa
    I'm so sorry to read about Weasel. You started your blog about the same time that my Simon came down with lymphoma and some of your posts led me to treatments that I would have never found on my own, Simon passed away Sept 2013 and he has been on my mind everyday, today I was going back through my notes for a friend whose pet has cancer and wanted to check in to see how Weasel was doing. It takes amazing people to fight for the love of their pet instead of just giving up, they deserve all that we can provide to them. God Bless you for taking that on. Since then I have adopted Tucker from a city shelter that attempted to put him down but he escaped into the ceiling. He can never replace the love I had for Simon but he brings me great joy and makes me laugh again
    With Sympathy
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelley,

      Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so happy to hear that my blog helped you in treating Simon. My sincere condolences for your loss. It sounds as though Simon was very lucky to have you in his life! I can relate to your grief. It's so hard when loved ones are always on one's mind, but it's nice to think about the funny, fun and touching moments too, which in my case, I unfortunately took for granted while Weasel was alive. It sounds as though Tucker is one extremely fortunate kitty to escape death and land in the hands of a guardian who cares as much as you do. Although new fur babies certainly don't replace ones we have lost, they create their own special spot in our hearts which is equally as important :). I'm very happy to hear that Tucker is bringing you so much joy. :)

      Take care!
      Melissa

      Delete
  6. Melissa,
    I hadn't checked in for a while and was saddened to read that Weasel had crossed over. What an amazing cat mom you are and how lucky he was to have you!!
    Your blog has a wealth of information to educate other cat owners and I know your advice to me personally during my kitty's cancer battle and subsequent pancreatitis episode were invaluable.
    Wishing you peace In your continued healing....and many thanks!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele,

      My apologies for the delayed response. I missed seeing this last month. Thank you so very much for your kind words. It's heartwarming to hear that the information I provided was of use to others. It's always wonderful if something positive can come out of such an awful situation.

      Best wishes and thank you :)
      Melissa

      Delete